Tuesday, September 23, 2008

CHECK-UP

It was time (once again) for Dylan's check-up with Dr. G, so yesterday Ryan took him to the hospital for his ultrasound, x-ray, blood work, and physical. Dylan was a "big boy" this time, and he laid on the table all by himself for his bladder ultrasound! (Daddy still held him for his belly one.) Ryan said that Dylan was very happy, cooperative, and a total angel until the very end of the appointment, when he asked Dr. G if he had to "get a poke". The doctor replied, "yes, but only one and I'll be fast." To that, apparently Dylan yelled, "NOOOO! I want MOMMY!" (I had to laugh when Ryan told me that--he's such a mama's boy sometimes) At least Ryan made sure that it was the doctor who was drawing blood this time and not the usual nurse (who always puts the needle in just a little OFF and then has to fish around under his skin for the vein), since Dr. G has a gift for doing it quickly, and doing it right on the first try!

We waited longer than usual for the results to come back (I think it was around 4:30 in the afternoon, so I got to stress out more than usual because I imagined all kinds of awful reasons why it was taking so long), but the doctor called and said that everything looks great, Dylan's kidney has grown as expected to compensate for the missing one, and we don't need to bring him back until February! (5 months from now, as opposed to the 3 month spans we've done since his surgery.) Our boy is healthy; I am grateful, I am hopeful, I'm happy.

5 comments:

kerri ann said...

That is very good news and I am very glad that he is healthy :)

The Bredensteiners said...

YEA!!! I am so happy everything has worked out- you guys have been through a lot! A friend of mine's neice (2 yrs old) just died of cancer a few weeks ago and we are doing a garage sale to help out with medical costs- BREAKS MY HEART! (PS I feel inspired to tell you- GO TO CHURCH! *GRIN*) Love you

Julie said...

I'm so glad! What a relief!

The HousewifeTravels said...

Awesome! I'm so excited for all the great news you've gotten recently. Congrats on a new baby boy.

Felicity May said...

Hi Kristen! What a cute family you have! Looks like you are out numbered:) Gracey is doing great, but was born with an extra ureter, causing inflammation in her kidneys. They caught it on a late ultrasound. They detached the extra ureter and reattached it to the original.Amazing huh? Keep in touch!